Tips on Purchasing a Bird Cage
Keeping your pet bird safe and healthy is a priority for all pet bird owners. It is important that you provide your pet bird with a cage with the right amount living space to be comfortable. Your pet will also need quality food and water, perches on which to rest and plenty of toys to prevent bird boredom.
There are many different styles and varieties of bird cages available to you. You can find bird cages that hang, or ones that stand on the ground. Bird safety is the most important factor in selecting a home for your bird. Make sure you research the proper bar spacing for your species of bird to prevent escape or injury. The sturdier the materials of the cage, the more durable and long lasting it will be. Secure doors are extremely important and protect your bird from escaping. The best bird homes allow you to interact with your bird, increasing your bond and adding to the enjoyment of owning a pet bird.
- Remember, no cage is large enough!!
- Canaries & finches prefer vertical wires.
- Budgies & other birds in the parrot family prefer horizontal wires for climbing.
- A variety of perch diameters should be available for your bird. This helps prevent arthritis.
- An extra set of perches should be kept on hand in case you wash the old ones. Wet perches can lead to arthritis.
- Cage wires should be spaced further apart for larger birds. This prevents feather damage and broken wings.
- Avoid cages with plastic roofs. Birds are inhibited by these.
- Above all, purchase a cage that is LEAD & ZINC FREE!!